Summit is a town in Muskogee County, Oklahoma, which was originally called South Muskogee. It is about seven miles south of Muskogee, where many Creek Indians and their slaves relocated after the passage of the Indian Removal Act of 1830.
Some historians believe Summit got its name from being the highest point on the local railroad. Before World War II, some of the businesses in Summit included a garage, grocery store and a cotton gin. The town was not incorporated until 1980, but was always self-governed. Its W.E.B. Dubois school was on the National Register of Historic Places until it was destroyed by a fire in 1991. Its St. Thomas Primitive Baptist Church is listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory.